Friday, November 13, 2015

Violet Veils

                     Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
                                                                                     Matthew 11:28


The plenitude of rest now.
I wrap my weariness, the ravages of lightlessness,
in soft grays and browns 
of mid-November.
The diminishing cadences of prayer
settle like brittle seeds into the dark furrows
of my old heart
as a fleeting sleep
comes over me 
like violet veils 
of clouds
on a windy day.







3 comments:

  1. ....diminishing cadences of prayer....aptly describes my present spiritual state which cannot be explained away by gray skies or physical tiredness, because one is welcomed and the other is non-existent. As I the question my resonance with your imagery in words, a sudden thought comes: what if my struggle with prayers these past two days is a sign that Heaven is emptying me because It wishes to fill me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your question. The thought of Heaven emptying to fill is intriguing and profound and worthy of contemplation. These dry runs are exhausting at times but then, as you have raised the possibility, I am closer to my poverty which enables me to be closer to God or Heaven. Thank you Caitlynne Grace for your beautiful comments/insights and for blessing us with your visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Violet veils! Gorgeous! Your work always amazes!

    ReplyDelete